Thursday, July 15, 2010

Skills...

Once students complete their education at our primary school (Preschool through Grade 5) they have the option of continuing their education in some of the other towns in our areas that have schools with more grades. SAM provides a little house and food and the students are visited every other week (or every week) by a staff member. At those visits there is a devotional and games and some chit chat to see how everyone is doing.

One of the groups of girls had mentioned that they missed having art classes at school so it was decided that we would try and provide that for them. I have been experimenting with making small, stuffed African animals out of local fabric and we thought that the girls might like to learn how to make them.

My first class with them was this morning. I asked Joao (a university student here to volunteer for the month) if he wouldn't mind coming along to translate. He agreed. All the mission vehicles were gone, so I asked if he wouldn't mind riding with me on The General. I told him that he could use the helmet. He agreed.

I got my supplies together and went to pick up Joao. He hopped on the back of the bike and off we went! Or so I thought. About half way down our drive way I looked in my mirrors and found that Joao was no where to be seen. (This explained why he wasn't responding to anything I said!) Feeling rather foolish I turned around and drove back to camp, trying to figure out where and how he might have fallen off. I found Joao in the campsite. Apparently he had jumped off when I first start the bike. We had a good laugh, he got back on the bike, and we drove to the next community down the road.

When we got to the students' house we gathered the girls together and started our class. I had printed patterns of a hippo and today we practiced threading the needle and making even stitches all away around the paper pattern. The girls were amazing! They did so well and I can't wait to start sewing with fabric next week. I never have a camera at the right time- they looked so sweet sitting together on their grass mat, concentrating intently on making straight, even stitches. Next week?

It was a good morning. This afternoon also looks promising, as one of the missionaries and I are going to meet with the principal of a school down the road. She is interested in using the health curriculum that we have been developing at her school. Exciting!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I don't really have a direct comment for anything, but I know it can be nice to get comments and so I just want to say: I love reading your blog.

Laura said...

I LOVE that Joao jumped off. I can just picture it too. Flying off the end of your bike is easier than most people would think. It's a pity that no one was driving by at that time.