
I went into town today with Rick, Heather, Tendai and Barb. We all had long to-do lists. I had a date with immigration and the grocery store and I needed to buy parts for The General. Barb needed building supplies. Rick and Heather needed everything from wire fencing to pork chops. Rick also needed to withdraw a significant amount of funds from the mission's bank account as there are many projects on the go requiring transport and supplies and, being as the month is coming to a close, we need to pay salaries.
Unfortunately, we soon found out that business in Chimoio had more or less ground to a halt. There was no cell coverage. None of the bank machines were working, nor were the banks themselves. Credit and debit cards also didn't work. Basically, there was no way to get cash but the only way to pay for things at the moment is in cash.
Word on the street is that everywhere in Mozambique north of Maputo is off-line. I included a map to illustrate this. I circled Maputo. As you can see, basically everything is north of Maputo. The square is where I live, more or less.
So...we went for pizza. Then we came home.
We are hoping that whatever is causing this problem will get sorted out soon. Pray! Until the banks are up and running again things will be a little tricky.
No comments:
Post a Comment