Saturday, January 30, 2010

Thursdays...

I keep meaning to tell you about my Thursday activities. Thursday is the day that I have a class with our community's traditional birth attendants. We only began about a month ago, but it has been the highlight of every week so far.

From right to left we have Fanesse, Azalea (both birth attendants), Eunice (ASAM staff who was translating for me) and yours truly.

I wish you could meet Fanesse and Azalea. They are such sweet ladies. When I asked them why they were chosen as birth attendants, they told me it was because they had good hearts.

Our second week of classes only Azalea showed up. I was so disappointed. Was this little project going to fail in its second week?

A few minutes into class Fanesse came bursting through the door, huffing and puffing. She was sorry to be late, she said. She had been working in her corn fields.

I was quite overjoyed to see her.



Fanesse and Azalea are both illiterate so we use pictures to go through our lessons. We laugh a lot, and chat, and it is wonderful.



On the 30th of this past December, Fanesse, Azalea and I delivered a baby together. It was such a great way for us to work together and bond a little before classes started. We don't deliver babies at the clinic...ever...so things were slightly funny and crazy with a little bit of improvising required. Can you imagine a delivery room in Canada stocked with a candle, a flashlight, and some women's skirts? Here is Azalea and I with the mom, baby boy and grandmom.

Thursdays are the best.

(Carey, thanks again for the great photos! Lynn, you too!)

2 comments:

Lola said...

Wow, this is my favorite post ever. Great job Keren. I would love Thursdays too.

Kmarie said...

Yay! you did another women post!!So I am still thinking on that email and I think us gals could gather some sort of fund raising event to help equip the health center if it is a go. Wouldnt it be great to get more sterilization and equipment in case of major tears! I am so glad you are educating on maternal health. I admire you so much...you are doing so much on behalf of the women in the world. See, you are a testament to how one woman can make this world a little better:)
All those women you work with sound so amazing.More and more you are making me want to go there...and that is saying alot.
How are you healthwise? I will email soon.