Saturday, October 25, 2008

Strange weather...

Melissa and I call our room "The Bat Cave" for very literal reasons. It is dark and...has lots of bats. In addition to the bats we also reside with at least two mice. I know this because I have seen them running across our floor and because I once found one caught in my mosquito net (which I admit, was a low point for me personally). I have been adjusting to living with all these possibly disease ridden roommates, but recently an event occurred which was the proverbial last straw. It would seem that one of the mice has become a proud parent. How do we know? Well, a baby mouse fell from the rafters onto our floor. That's right...it is raining baby rodents in our room. Call me weak, but I have a problem with this. Solution? We're hoping to get a cat.

Monica had a second surgery yesterday to have some tissue from her thigh grafted onto her stump. I have not been able to get any information on how the surgery went, despite many attempted phone calls. I am praying that all went well; I should be able to find out some more information today. I have been thinking a lot about what the next move should be. Please pray that God will give me wisdom as I look into what option is the best for Monica.

This last week we were helping out with the building of a shallow well. The next time I am in Kampala (and have a reasonable Internet connection) I will post some pictures. The community has worked so incredibly hard to build their well. It really is an honor to work alongside them even in our small ways.

This next week we are launching our first "Hygiene Fair" at a local primary school. It is basically a morning for children filled with games, dramas, teaching and prizes all geared towards teaching the kids to practice better sanitation and hygiene. It is definitely an experiment but hopefully it goes well and we can hold several more before we leave.

On a very sad note, our driver and friend Amos has been expecting his first child. We have all been pretty excited about it, actually. Yesterday the baby was stillborn. He is so sad. We went and visited his wife this morning and she is doing well physically but they are missing their little daughter. If you could pray for this family as well I would really appreciate it.

We are hoping to go visit some SP projects up north this next month and do a few touristy things. All that to say my Internet access may be less than usual, but we'll see. Hope to be writing on here again soon.

2 comments:

Samuel Gonzales said...

Karen! I had no idea you were interning in Uganda! I loved reading your posts! I just navigated here from your most recent Xanga post. I am so impressed and so excited for you! How long will you be in Africa? Sounds like you are having quite the experiences in your bat cave. In Belize we also had bats living with us. At first I thought it was cute. But then after many nights of their squeaking, I was ready for them to move out. At the risk of sounding in humane, we finally resorted spraying them with some sort of chemical (bleach water I think) whenever we could get close enough. They're fast though, and I don't know if it was that or prayer that finally got them to leave. :) Can't wait to hear more!

Samuel Gonzales said...

P.S. You're probably thinking "Who in the world is that last person who left that comment! I forgot to say it was me, Kit from Prairie. I don't have a blogger blog, but our youth group does, and it just automatically chose that.